Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Humber Street Sesh

Last Saturday I went to 'Humber Street Sesh' in Hull.

I was due to go to the cinema with two of my friends and one asked if we would go with her to watch her boyfriend's band. Now, I've heard the singer before (he sings at lot at parties, no one ever objects, he's great) but I'd never heard the band. In all honesty, I wasn't expecting much from the whole thing. I knew my friends' band would good (more of that later) but I presumed it would be a small gathering of people with a few bands who were into that genre of music.

Oh how wrong I was...

The event was amazing! Seriously. It had been open since midday, and I arrived at about 8.30 pm and it was heaving. I didn't even know that there were so many people who knew about events like this. From the Facebook page I can see that there were over 40,000 people who had been 'clicked in' as they walked through the entrances.

We rushed down to see the band (we were running late, as usual) through the crowds of people down to the Fruit Market and entered 'Ruscadors' where the band, Chasing Athena, were playing.

First thing- it was still super busy in here.
Second thing- it was boiling.

Then the band started and it didn't even matter. They are so, so good. I know I'm probably biased as I'm friends with them all, but for real, they're so good. You should check them out, especially as they're releasing their single this week and their album in a few weeks. And you can download some of their songs off their band page here. And you can find them on their Facebook page here.

After the band finished we wandered into town a bit then back to the Street Sesh. It was still super busy after 10pm and it took forever to even get a drink, but with the whole atmosphere and live music blaring out of every other building it was the best warm cider I've ever had. We managed to catch the whole of Counting Coins' set. They're a fairly well known band in Hull and the surrounding area from what I gather and were so good. I can't even place them into a genre, you really have to listen to them, which you can do here.

The guy on the second from the left here is the drummer from Chasing Athena.

Shameless group selfies.

That's just a few of the pictures from Counting Coins. It was so odd, there were people crowd surfing and dancing and a mosh pit, all in an old Fruit Market.

The atmosphere was reminiscent of a music festival, with all the silliness and music coming from everywhere with people dressed up, on a much smaller scale. I didn't even realise that there was so much musical talent within Humberside, never mind Hull itself! It's definitely made me want to go to more events like this. It was so nice to just have a bit of a wander round with friends and meet new people, and it was so different to what I normally do with my friends.

I even managed a quick photo snap at the end of the night. Taken in one of Hull's finest car parks of course. I think I was part way through telling my friend that she is a terrible photographer (paired with my terrible posing) so please excuse the odd face I am pulling.

My top is from French Connection a few years ago with an M&S strappy top underneath.
My jacket and bag is from Internationale at around Easter time.
Jeans are Dorothy Perkins, current season.
And my shoes are Blowfish.


Here is the link to the Humber Street Sesh Facebook page if anyone would like to have a look.



No comments:

Post a Comment